23 February 2011

First-person and Third-person Narrative

After analysis of the short stories "On the Run", "The Use of Force", "The Case for the Defence", "The Apprentice" and "Red Letter Day", I have finally understood the application for first or third person point-of-view to write my narrative.

When I write with a first-person viewpont, I mainly want to maintain a close distance betweeen the reader and the main character. This includes the main character's feelings, reasons for every action and emotions. Also, it is because I want the reader to be the main character's "eyes", who can view everything the main character is supposed to feel. That is why sensory imagery comes into place, and with appropriate corresponding feelings, it would make a good essay. Finally, I will use the first-person viewpoint when I want to describe the main character's psychological and mental changes. If I use other viewpoints, I would not sound as appropriate as if I were to use a first-person point-of-view.

However, when I write with the third-person viewpoint, it is because I want to describe physical factors better. With this viewpoint, I can reveal important information at anytime suitable, and I can also describe the setting of other characters, instead of just focusing on the main character itself. It is to give the story a whole "overlooking" feel. Also, I can change which character I want to talk about anytime, and I can even talk about objects.

Thus, when I plan for my essay, it is always advisable to choose which point of view to write in, so as to bring out the correct feelings.

(Term 1 Post #5)

No comments: