22 February 2011

Reflections on the Singapore Short Story Essay

After drafts of the essay, the final product was finally completed. The story is about me, a chef sent to participate in an inter-continent cooking competition, together with my handy assistant. The conflict is developed when the chefs realize that they have messed up the ingredients. However, they persevere and finally come up with a dish that totally amazes the judges and wins them a special prize.

I am confident that I have met the criteria for a good story. Firstly, I have thought of the characters. The chefs are excellent in their area of expertise and expected to be the champions. They were all prepared, ready and confident, but with a little tinge of nervousness.

Also the theme "Identity" has been applied into the story setted in the Singapore Expo in the present day and age. The two characters displayed a good characteristic of Singaporeans which is the ability to come up with new solutions when they hit a hard wall.

I also have a developed conflict and a climax. The conflict here is that they suddenly find out that they have purchased the wrong or expired ingredients. Slowly they learn that more and more things are being messed up, and soon they are ready to give up, however a slight accident leads to a big chain of events. They have found out a way to solve the solution, and when they present it to the judges, there lies the climax. All the characters are so tensed up because they want to know the result of this competition.

At first when I started writing this essay, I wondered if this was a good idea because it was not really connected to a Singaporean identity. However, after hours of brainstorming and tweakings to the story, I finally decided on this plot. I think that i have made a correct choice because it had a great effect in the end. It was overall exciting and I also had an enjoyable time trying to craft this story.

(Term 1 Post #3)

No comments: