15 May 2011

My Love and Passion for Aviation

One of the main aspects in my life is aviation. Since Primary 4 if I remembered correctly, I started to develop an interest for aviation and flying.

I just love it.

As such, I took up a second CCA Youth Flying Club, hoping at the end of the day to obtain a PPL (Private Pilot's Licence) and become a commercial jet pilot. Before this, I was banking on being a chef as my occupation as I grew up.

Before loving aviation, I had definitely sat on an airplane. However, my point of insight was only limited to the cockpit doors. After the 911 crash in America, all cockpit doors had to be closed and fitted with bulletproof material. Unfortunately I did not have X-ray vision. Anyway, my inspiration came from a show called "Seconds from disaster", a documentary series on uncovering the final seconds from any disaster, from air crashes to gas pipe leak explosions. The episode I watched was a Amsterdam Air Crash where flight El Al 1862, a B747 cargo jet, took off and crashed into the side of an apartment block because an engine fell off, and unfortunately hitting another engine, resulting in the loss of two out of four engines. Seeing the cockpit for the first time, I thought that flying a plane would be very difficult because of the many operating panels that the cockpit contains. Continuing on, I started to watch more documentaries on flying like "Air Crash Investigation" and "Aircrash Confidential". These documentaries unravel mysteries that caused the fall of a particular airplane.

Then when I entered Hwa Chong, there was Youth Flying Club, and so I joined it. It is very fun, considering the fact that there is simulation flying, and control line flying. It has really motivated me to get that PPL which I now really desire. Earlier this year, I had even purchased a flying simulator which we use in Youth Flying Club, "Microsoft Flight Simulator", and also a joystick that I can use to fly it.

Term 3 Sabbaticals, I picked Aviation Science. It is lucky that we have a sabbatical for flying. Our wonderful instructor, Mr Alan Yeo, had taken up the role of introducing us to aviation. It was an amazing course, and even after the sabbatical is over, there is still a "Tao of Figher" (also known as Top Gun Academy) programme held almost every Thursday to allow us to train our flying skills and at the end of the day, having a mass dogfight which entices everybody.

Ever since that documentary I watched in Primary 4, my direction in life has changed. I hope that when I turn 16, I can obtain my PPL (even before my driving license) and one day, fly my own plane.

(Term 2 Post #9)

No comments: